Texas health officials revealed that a man has died after contracting Vibrio vulnificus after eating raw oysters.
The man was aged between 30 and 40, and had underlying health conditions that made him susceptible to bacterial infection. Galveston County Health District ,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention It is reported that 100 people die from vibriosis every year in America.
Infection usually occurs when a person eats raw or undercooked shellfish, especially oysters, which contain the bacteria, which naturally lives in warm coastal waters.
“Due to unusually warm ocean temperatures this year, the number of Vibrio infections is increasing in the United States,” the Galveston County Health District warned.
The CDC says about 80% of infections are caused by warm water between May and October.
Symptoms of vibriosis include diarrhea, stomach cramps, vomiting, fever, and blistered sores. The CDC says most people with a mild case of vibriosis recover after about 3 days. However, the consequences may be more severe for people with pre-existing conditions.
“If you experience any of the symptoms previously described after eating undercooked shellfish such as oysters and clams or after being in coastal areas, please consult your doctor,” the Galveston County Health District said.