Police in California administered Narcan to a puppy they suspected was overdosing on fentanyl, saving his life, reports say.
The young pit bull’s owners, a man and woman, were arrested and charged with possible drug possession and animal cruelty charges. The Associated Press,
The Irvine Police Department said the incident began with a consensual encounter between owners and police outside Walmart. Officers found fentanyl in his vehicle and arrested him.
Then the woman saw the condition of her puppy.
“Then the female said, ‘Oh, I think my dog is overdosing,'” said department spokesman Kyle Oldoerp. Los Angeles Times on Saturday. “She knew the symptoms because this was the second time the dog had overdosed.”
Irvine Police Department via AP
Police said it was not immediately clear how the dog might have gained access to the fentanyl.
“Maybe it was a baggie on the floor of the car; we don’t really know,” Olderopp told The Times. “If they are using drugs in their car, we can only guess.”
Sergeant Cary Davis of the Irvine Police Department said the dog showed signs that it was overdosing.
Davis told reporters, “His tongue was hanging out of his mouth. His eyes were closing and so the officers thought, let’s use Narcan on the dog and see if that will help him.” “Sure enough it did, so they took the dog to the vet.”
After officers at the police station gave him the drug overdose treatment naloxone, the puppy made a rapid recovery, Olderopp said.
According to The Times, authorities will keep the puppy until a hearing determines whether the couple gets to keep the dog.
The identities of the owners have not been released.