Nearly 22 years after the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Center, authorities have identified the remains of two additional 9/11 victims.
The identifications are part of a decades-long effort by the office of New York City Chief Medical Examiner Jason Graham to return victims to their families as nearly 3,000 people died in Lower Manhattan.
The identities of the newly confirmed man and woman are being kept private at the request of their families.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams said, “As we prepare to mark the anniversary of September 11, our thoughts turn to those and their families who we lost that terrible morning, to those who return to their loved ones every day. “Living with the pain of loss.” A Press release,
“We hope these new identifications can bring some comfort to the families of these victims, and the ongoing efforts of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner demonstrate the City’s unwavering commitment to reunite all World Trade Center victims with their loved ones.” Let’s confirm.” He said.
The remains of 40% of those killed on 9/11 – approximately 1,104 – have still not been identified.
Graham described the efforts to identify the victim’s remains as “the largest and most complex forensic investigation in the history of our country.”
The last positive detection came two years ago in 2021 and again in 2019.
A total of 1,649 World Trade Center victims have been identified so far. This complex process uses DNA sequencing techniques to test body fragments recovered in the wreckage.
Graham said he has made a “solemn pledge” to return the victims to their loved ones.